Violeta Petrova to Speak at Labour Mobility Update
A New Immigration Framework
Violeta Petrova will speak at Labour Mobility Update – A New Immigration Framework on March 2, 2020. Hosted by BritishAmerican Business, the event will take place at Buzzacott in London. This program will explore the question: What does the new immigration framework need to look like in order for the UK economy to flourish in a post-Brexit environment?
The December general election has fixed the Brexit timetable for 2020 and the new Government has reinforced its commitment to completing the UK’s transition to an independent nation state by 1 January 2021. The transition will include ending the free movement of people and the introduction of new systems and controls for attracting the skills, investment and labour that the country will need in order to main its competitiveness in a global economy.
Meanwhile, the prospect of a UK-US trade agreement presents an opportunity to strengthen what is already one of the world’s leading bilateral trade and investment partnerships by further deepening cooperation in labour mobility, making it easier for UK professionals to do business in the US, and vice-versa.
The panel will consider:
- Who does the UK need to attract in the new economy?
- What are the best mechanisms for attracting and selecting the people the country needs?
- How to maintain public confidence in the immigration system
- The UK’s revamped immigration system and the Migration Advisory Committee’s recommendations
- Is the “Australian-style” scheme fit for purpose in the UK?
- A view from America – is Brexit an opportunity for transatlantic movement of talent and investment?
Violeta Petrova is a Senior Counsel in Gibney’s Immigration Group. She represents large-cap, mid-cap and small-cap clients in U.S. business immigration , including nonimmigrant and permanent residence matters. She has also assisted individual clients with family-based and employment-based visas.